Located in: Montagne & Val de Reims: Vesle et Ardre
Vineyards and grape varieties: 47.6 ha (117.6 acres), of which 61.2% Pinot Meunier, 33.4% Pinot Noir, and 5.4% Chardonnay.
Classification: Premier cru (90%)
West, almost westnorthwest: Pargny-lès-Reims (premier cru)
West, almost westsouthwest: Jouy-lès-Reims (premier cru)
Southwest: Ville-Dommange (premier cru)
Eastnortheast: Bezannes (premier cru)
Comment: the remaining links will be added when those profiles have been uploaded.
Les Mesneux is located just below the northwestern part of the Montagne de Reims slope, and is therefore part of the ”Petite Montagne de Reims”. The village is located just south of/outside the beltway (and rail line) south of Reims.
The Les Mesneux covers 426 hectares and has 832 inhabitants (as of 2011) referred to as mesneusiens and mesneusiennes.
The vineyards in Les Mesneux consist of mild slopes just below the actual Montage de Reims, and are dominated by Pinot Meunier.
On the now defunct échelle des crus, Les Mesneux was rated 90%, which has made it a premier cru village.
The current vineyard surface in the Les Mesneux commune is 47.6 hectares (117.6 acres). There are 29.1 ha Pinot Meunier (61.2%), 15.9 ha Pinot Noir (33.4%), and 2.6 ha Chardonnay (5.4%). Numbers from CIVC, as of 2013. There are 15 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune. In 1997, the vineyard surface was 45 ha.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- Francis Bougy (RC), has vineyards with 60% Chardonnay, 25% Pinot Meunier, and 15% Pinot Noir.
- Bougy-Moriset & Fils (RC), has Pinot Meunier and Pinot Noir in Les Mesneux and Chardonnay in Le Mesnil-sur-Oger.
- Féry Bourgeois
- Thierry Griffon (RC), has 6 ha of vineyards with 45% Pinot Meunier, 35% Pinot Noir, and 20% Chardonnay.
- Bertrand Jacquinet (RC, Facebook page)
- Jacquinet-Dumez (RM), member of Vignerons Indépendants, has 7 ha of vineyards in Les Mesneux, Sacy, Écueil, and Ville-Dommange. The range includes an oaked Chardonnay named Agathe, that is produced exclusively from the site Les Croisettes in Sacy.
- Leroy-Bertin (RC), has 6 ha of vineyards with 45% Pinot Meunier, 33% Pinot Noir, and 22% Chardonnay.
- Michaut Lionel (RC)
- Trousset Guillemart (RM, Facebook page), member of Vignerons Indépendants.
- Wikipedia in English, in French.
- (The Les Mesneux commune doesn’t have a website.)
- UMC’s village profile of Les Mesneux
- The Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2014