Alsace wines from Gustave Lorentz

Gustave Lorentz is a sizable Alsace producers with a long history, located in Bergheim. Per Warfvinge’s Alsace website has both a village profile and a producer profile. They have 33 hectares (about 82 acres) of their own vineyards, of which 13.5 hectares (about 33.5 acres) are classified grand cru: 12 ha in Altenberg de Bergheim and 1.5 ha in Kanzlerberg. However, those vineyards are only enough for 20% of the total Lorentz wine production, and the remaining 80% is produced by bought-in grapes from small growers in the Bergheim area. A recent development at Lorentz’ is that their own vineyards are certified organically since 2012.

I find the wines to be of good quality. Going from my Swedish experience (this could possibly vary between markets), I find the price of the basic level wines to be honest in relation to the quality in the bottle. The wines I tasted all possessed good acidity, and in terms of residual sweetness, all Riesling wines were completely dry. On the other hand, some Gewurztraminer and Pinot Gris wines weren’t completely dry, so I think it would be a good idea for Gustave Lorentz to introduce some sort of sweetness scale on their labels, since this is lacking today. At the basic level, some of the bottles were sealed with screw caps or synthetic corks.

Alsacedagen 20140127 Gustave Lorentz

All wines were tasted at the Alsace Wine Day in Stockholm in late January.

2012 Pinot Blanc Réserve
Fruity, dry, 83 p.

2012 Riesling Réserve
Fully dry palate, peach, some mineral, 85 p.

2012 Riesling Evidence Vieilles Vignes
Organic wine.
Nose of apple and stony mineral notes. The palate is completely dry and very stony, with rather good concentration. Firm and classical! Potential for development, 87(+) p.

2010 Riesling Burg
Nose with peach and apple. The palate is dry and apply with some ripe fruit notes, mineral, and good acidity. 87 p

2012 Pinot Gris Réserve
Nose with apple, some smoke, and a hint of apricot. The palate is fruity and almost dry, with notes of apple and apricot, and good acidity. 87 p

2007 Pinot Gris Schofweg
Partially (20-25%?) made from botrytised grapes.
Nose with dried apricot, spice, honey, and some developed notes. Off-dry palate with honey and dried apricot. The off-dry palate is less sweet than what the nose leads you to expect. 88 p

A note: it seems that the producers disagree how the name of this vineyard should be spelled. Gustave Lorentz writes Schofweg with one f, while e.g. Marcel Deiss writes Schoffweg with two f.

2012 Gewurztraminer Réserve
Nose with honey, spice notes, and lychee. The palate is rather dry with apple, peach, and medium acidity. 87 p

2007 Riesling Grand Cru Altenberg de Bergheim Vieilles Vignes
Nose showing ripe peach, apple, mineral with slate and petrol notes. The palate is completely dry with apple, peach, pronounced and stony mineral note, and high acidity. 89 p

2007 Pinot Gris Grand Cru Altenberg de Bergheim
Nose of baked apple, dried fruit, spice, and developed notes. The palate goes slightly in the off-dry direction, with honey, pronounced spice notes, and good acidity. 89 p

2007 Pinot Gris Grand Cru Altenberg de Bergheim Vendanges Tardives
Nose with honey, dried fruit, spice notes, and some mushroom. Palate with typical VT sweetness, honey, dried fruit, medium+ acid level and rather good concentration, 89 p.

Swedish version here.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Alsace, Gewürztraminer, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, Riesling. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s