Located in: Montagne & Val de Reims: Vesle et Ardre
Vineyards and grape varieties: 47.6 hectares (117.6 acres), of which 61% Pinot Meunier, 33% Pinot Noir, and 5% Chardonnay.
Classification: Premier cru (90%)
West, almost westnorthwest: Pargny-lès-Reims (premier cru)
West, almost westsouthwest: Jouy-lès-Reims (premier cru)
Southwest: Ville-Dommange (premier cru)
Southsouthwest: Sacy (premier cru)
Eastnortheast: Bezannes (premier cru)
Les Mesneux is located just below the northwestern part of the Montagne de Reims slope, and is therefore part of the ”Petite Montagne de Reims”. The village is located just south of/outside the beltway (and rail line) south of Reims.
The Les Mesneux covers 426 hectares and has 838 inhabitants (as of 2013) referred to as Mesneusiens and Mesneusiennes.
The vineyards in Les Mesneux consist of mild slopes just below the actual Montagne de Reims, and are dominated by Pinot Meunier.
On the now defunct échelle des crus, Les Mesneux was rated 90%, which has made it a premier cru village.
The current vineyard surface in the Les Mesneux commune is 47.6 hectares (117.6 acres). There are 29.1 ha Pinot Meunier (61.2%), 15.9 ha Pinot Noir (33.4%), and 2.6 ha Chardonnay (5.4%). Numbers from CIVC, as of 2013. There are 15 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune. In 1997, the vineyard surface was 45 ha.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- Francis Bougy (RC), has vineyards in Le Mesnil-sur-Oger in the Côte des Blancs and in Les Mesneux with 60% Chardonnay, 25% Pinot Meunier, and 15% Pinot Noir. The range includes a vintage blanc de blancs from Le Mesnil-sur-Oger.
- Bougy-Moriset & Fils (RC), has Pinot Meunier and Pinot Noir in Les Mesneux and Chardonnay in Le Mesnil-sur-Oger.
- Féry Bourgeois
- Denime Père et Fils (RC)
- Thierry Griffon (RC), has 6 ha of vineyards with 45% Pinot Meunier, 35% Pinot Noir, and 20% Chardonnay. The range includes a vintage Champagne.
- Bertrand Jacquinet (RC, Facebook page)
- Jacquinet-Dumez (RM), member of Vignerons Indépendants, has 7 ha of vineyards in Les Mesneux, Sacy, Écueil, and Ville-Dommange. The vintage Champagne is called Excellence and is composed of 70% Pinot Noir and 30% Chardonnay vinified in oak barrels of different sizes (refers to the 2009 vintage). The range also includes an oaked Chardonnay named Agathe, that is produced exclusively from the site Les Croisettes in Sacy.
- Leroy-Bertin (RC), has 6 ha of vineyards with 45% Pinot Meunier, 33% Pinot Noir, and 22% Chardonnay. The vintage Champagne is called Cuvée Collection.
- Michaut Lionel (RC)
- Trousset Guillemart (RM, Facebook page), member of Vignerons Indépendants with 7.6 ha vineyards. Left the cooperative in Ville-Dommange in 2008 to become a independent producer.
- Wikipedia about this village in English, in French.
- (The Les Mesneux commune doesn’t have a website.)
- UMC’s new village profile of Les Mesneux
- UMC’s old village profile of Les Mesneux (dead link)
- The Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2014-2016, last update 2016-01-09