Located in: Montagne & Val de Reims: Vesle et Ardre
Vineyards and grape varieties: 27.0 hectares (66.7 acres), of which 64% Pinot Meunier, 28% Pinot Noir, and 8% Chardonnay.
Classification: “Autre cru” (82%)
Google Maps view with the villages in the Vesle et Ardre highlighted. The premier cru villages are in yellow and the autre cru villages are in orange. The La Petite Montagne de Reims part is shown within red borders and the Vallée de la Vesle part within green borders.
Clicking on a village opens a field to the left with a link to the village profile.
Eastnortheast: Vrigny (premier cru)
East: Coulommes-la-Montagne (premier cru)
Méry-Prémecy is located on top of the Montagne de Reims hill, close to a small stream called Noron that empties into the Ardre river just downstream of the Poilly village.
The Méry-Prémecy commune covers 511 hectares and has 57 inhabitants (as of 2013).
The vineyards in Méry-Prémecy are located around the village, primarily to the north, and consist of mild south-facing slopes with Pinot Meunier as the most common grape variety.
The current vineyard surface in the Méry-Prémecy commune is 27.0 hectares (66.7 acres). There are 17.4 ha Pinot Meunier (64.3%), 7.4 ha Pinot Noir (27.6%), and 2.2 ha Chardonnay (8.1%). Numbers from CIVC, as of 2013. In 1997, the vineyard surface was also 27 ha. There are 4 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- Charton-Guillaume (RC), which has 6 ha of vineyards in Mery-Prémecy and Vrigny, of which 80% Pinot Meunier, 10% Chardonnay, and 10% Pinot Noir. The vintage Champagne is composed of 40% Chardonnay, 40% Pinot Noir, and 20% Pinot Meunier. Cuvée Berger Allemand is a non-vintage Champagne with a picture of German Shepherd Dog on the label.
- Guyot-Guillaume (RC), the vineyards of which is composed of 84% Pinot Meunier, 12% Pinot Noir, and 4% Chardonnay. Cuvée N°6 is composed of 2/3 Chardonnay and 1/3 oak barrel vinified Pinot Meunier.
Comment: It is not certain that the list is complete.
- Wikipedia about this village in English, in French.
- (The Méry-Prémecy commune doesn’t have a website.)
- UMC’s new village profile of Méry-Prémecy.
- UMC’s old village profile of Méry-Prémecy. (dead link)
- Vineyard map of Méry-Prémecy at weinlagen.info.
- The Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2014-2016, last update 2016-04-16