Located in: Montagne & Val de Reims: Vesle et Ardre
Vineyards and grape varieties: 45.1 hectares (111.4 acres), of which 92.9% Pinot Meunier, 3.8% Pinot Noir, and 3.3% Chardonnay.
Classification: “Autre cru” (83%)
Google Maps view with the villages in the Vesle et Ardre highlighted. The premier cru villages are in yellow and the autre cru villages are in orange. The La Petite Montagne de Reims part is shown within red borders and the Vallée de la Vesle part within green borders.
Clicking on a village opens a field to the left with a link to the village profile.
Sarcy is located on top of the Montagne de Reims hill. The Ardre river flows just east of the village.
The Sarcy commune covers 690 hectares and has 242 inhabitants (as of 2013), referred to as Sarcéens and Sarcéennes.
The vineyards in Sarcy are primarily located to the southeast of the village, along the D386 road to Chaumuzy. They consist of mild slopes and are totally dominated by Pinot Meunier.
The current vineyard surface in the Sarcy commune is 45.1 hectares (111.4 acres). There are 41.9 ha Pinot Meunier (92.9%), 1.7 ha Pinot Noir (3.8%), and 1.5 ha Chardonnay (3.3%). Numbers from CIVC, as of 2013. In 1997, the vineyard surface was 43 ha. There are 16 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune.
Single vineyard sites
Single vineyard sites in Sacy include, among others:
- Les Clos, a northeast-facing slope with a rather mild inclination in the southeastern part of the commune.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- Jean-Michel Bouchet & Filles (RC), which has vineyards with 70% Pinot Meunier, 15% Chardonnay, and 15% Pinot Noir. The range includes a vintage Champagne.
- Camus-Laluc (RC), the range of which includes a vintage Champagne.
- Abel Jobart (RM), member of Vignerons Indépendants, has 13 ha of vineyards in the Vallée de l’Ardre, Vallée de la Marne, and Massif de Saint-Thierry with 80% Pinot Meunier, 10% Chardonnay, and 10% Pinot Meunier. The annual production is 60 000 bottles, which probably means that some grapes are sold. The range includes a vintage Champagne composed of 70% Pinot Meunier and 30% Chardonnay (referes to the 2005 vintage), that also exists in a Doux version (sweet). Their Blanc de Blancs is to 50% oak barrel aged.
- M.F. de Latour
- Lepaul (RC, formerly Alexis Lepaul), has 1.8 ha of vineyards. The range includes a vintage Champagne composed of 60% Pinot Meunier, 20% Chardonnay, and 20% Pinot Noir.
Comment: It is not certain that the list is complete.
- Wikipedia about this village in English, in French.
- The Sarcy commune doesn’t have a website.
- UMC’s new village profile of Sarcy.
- UMC’s old village profile of Sarcy. (dead link)
- The Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2014-2016, last updated 2016-08-27