Located in: Montagne & Val de Reims: Vesle et Ardre
Vineyards and grape varieties: 47.0 hectares (116.1 acres), of which 70% Pinot Meunier, 21% Pinot Noir, and 9,5% Chardonnay.
Classification: “Autre cru” (86%)
Google Maps view with the villages in the Vesle et Ardre highlighted. The premier cru villages are in yellow and the autre cru villages are in orange. The La Petite Montagne de Reims part is shown within red borders and the Vallée de la Vesle part within green borders.
Clicking on a village opens a field to the left with a link to the village profile.
Comment: Lagery is located in the outskirts of the Champagne appellation, so some of the neighbouring villages visible on the map are not included in the list above, since they are not Champagne villages and therefore will not be profiled.
Lagery is located on top of the Montagne de Reims hill, in the northwestern part.
The Lagery commune covers 934 hectares and has 201 inhabitants (as of 2013) referred to as Lagerois and Lageroises.
The vineyards in Lagery consist of mild slopes dominated by Pinot Meunier. Most of the vineyards are located northwest of the village close the stream Ruisseau du Four à Chaux, and some are located northeast of the village close to the stream Ruisseau de Brouillet. In both cases, the strip of vineyards continues north across the border to Brouillet.
The current vineyard surface in the Lagery commune is 47.0 hectares (116.1 acres). There are 32.7 ha Pinot Meunier (69.6%), 9.8 ha Pinot Noir (20.8%), and 4.5 ha Chardonnay (9.5%). Numbers from CIVC, as of 2013. In 1997, the vineyard surface was 46 ha. There are 22 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- Grégoire Desloge (RC), has vineyards with 60% Pinot Meunier, 20% Pinot Noir, and 20% Chardonnay. The range includes two vintage Champagnes: Prestige which is composed of 70% Chardonnay and 30% Pinot Noir and is oak barrel vinified, and a blanc de blancs.
- Deuxdeniers-Simon (RC)
- Fournaise-Voisin (RC), has 4 ha of vineyards. The range includes a vintage Champagne composed of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.
- Orban-Bouvier (RC)
Comment: It is not certain that the list is complete.
Below a video showing powered paragliding in the Lagery area in the summer of 2010. In the middle of the video (3:30-4:40) we get a rather good picture of what the landscape looks like and see some vineyards pass by.
- Wikipedia about this village in English, in French.
- (The Lagery commune doesn’t have a website.)
- UMC’s new village profile of Lagery.
- UMC’s old village profile of Lagery. (dead link)
- Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2015-2016, last updated 2016-04-16