Located in: Montagne & Val de Reims: Vesle et Ardre
Vineyards and grape varieties: 37.6 hectares (92.9 acres), of which 62% Pinot Meunier, 29% Pinot Noir, and 9% Chardonnay.
Classification: “Autre cru” (82%)
Google Maps view with the villages in the Vesle et Ardre highlighted. The premier cru villages are in yellow and the autre cru villages are in orange. The La Petite Montagne de Reims part is shown within red borders and the Vallée de la Vesle part within green borders.
Clicking on a village opens a field to the left with a link to the village profile.
Comment: Courville is located in the outskirts of the Champagne appellation, so some of the neighbouring villages visible on the map are not included in the list above, since they are not Champagne villages and therefore will not be profiled.
Courville is located on top of the northwestern part of the Montagne de Reims hill, along the Ardre river.
The Courville commune covers 1 194 hectares and has 468 inhabitants (as of 2013), referred to as Courvillois and Courvilloises.
The vineyards of Courville consists of mild south-facing slopes that are mostly located north to east of the village, on the right bank of the Ardre, with some to the west of the village, on the left bank of Ardre. Pinot Meunier is the most common grape variety.
The current vineyard surface in the Courville commune is 37.6 hectares (92.9 acres). There are 23.4 ha Pinot Meunier (62.3%), 10.8 ha Pinot Noir (28.8%), and 3.4 ha Chardonnay (9.0%). Numbers from CIVC, as of 2013. In 1997, the vineyard surface was 29 ha. There are 9 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune.
Single vineyard sites
- In the western part of the commune: Le Larri de Mont.
- In the northern to eastern part of the commune: Le Larri de l’Aumone, Bungard Tingret, La Carrière Saint-Julien, La Montagne de Fismes.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- Vincent Bennezon (RC), has 9 ha of vineyards in the Vallée de l’Ardre and the Vallée de la Marne. Started to sell Champagnes under their own name in 2010.
- François Bouvy et Fils (RC)
Comment: It is not certain that the list is complete.
- Wikipedia about this village in English, in French.
- (The Courville commune doesn’t have a website.)
- UMC’s new village profile of Courville.
- UMC’s old village profile of Courville. (dead link)
- Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2015-2016, last update 2016-08-27