Located in: Vallée de la Marne: Vallée de la Marne Rive Droite
Vineyards and grape varieties: 75.5 hectares (186.6 acres), of which 61% Pinot Meunier, 19% Pinot Noir and 19% Chardonnay.
Classification: “Autre cru” (85%)
Cormoyeux is located on the right bank of the Marne river, but a bit removed from the river in a side valley formed by the small stream Le Brunet. The neighbouring villages Romery and Fleury-la-Rivière are located in the same side valley.
The Cormoyeux commune covers 217 hectares and has 111 inhabitants (as of 2012).
The vineyards in Cormoyeux consist of mild slopes of varying exposure (from east- via south- to west-facing) with Pinot Meunier as the most common grape variety.
The current vineyard surface in the Cormoyeux commune is 75.5 ha (186.6 acres). There are 46.1 ha Pinot Meunier (61.1%), 14.7 ha Pinot Noir (19.4%) and 14.4 ha Chardonnay (19.1%). Numbers from CIVC, as of 2013. In 1997, the vineyard surface was 71 ha. There are 25 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune.
Single vineyard sites
- Les Gimpres. Bochet-Lemoine produces a vineyard-designated Champagne from this vineyard, based on Chardonnay vines planted in 1955.
The producer status NM = négociant-manipulant means that purchased grapes can be included in the Champagnes. NM producers can be anything from small producers that supplement their own grapes with some that they buy in, to large Champagne houses that primarily rely on purchased grapes.
- Francis Mondet (NM), founded in 1928. Has 11 ha of vineyards, primarily in Cormoyeux and Romery, but also in Passy-Grigny.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- Baudin Fils (RM)
- Bochet-Lemoine (RM), has 8.5 ha of vineyards in Cormoyeux and Faverolles-et-Coëmy. Produces a vineyard-designated Champagne from Les Gimpres.
- Boude-Baudin (RC)
- Dessaint-Tellier (RM), but uncertain if this producer still exists today.
- Faniel et Fils (RM), earlier written J. Faniel & Fils.
- Fabrice Lecourt (RM), has 6 ha of vineyards.
- Vautrin Père & Fils (RM)
Comment: It is not certain that the list is complete.
- Wikipedia about this village in English, in French.
- Website of the Cormoyeux commune.
- UMC’s village profile of Cormoyeux.
- The Swedish version of this post.
Below a video clip that shows the vineyards in Cormoyeux and surroundings. The camera is located near Romery, the village in the beginning of the clip is Fleury-la-Rivière and the vineyards in Cormoyeux appear in the right-hand edge of the picture at 0:09, i.e., they start to the right of the “wooden wedge”. The vineyards closest to the camera are located in Romery.
© Tomas Eriksson 2015, last updated 2015-03-28