Located in: Vallée de la Marne: Vallée de la Marne Rive Droite
Vineyards and grape varieties: 78.1 hectares (193.0 acres), of which 74% Pinot Meunier, 17% Pinot Noir, and 9% Chardonnay.
Classification: ”Autre cru” (84%)
Baslieux-sous-Châtillon is located on the right bank of the Marne river, which means north of the river. The village is located in a curved side valley formed by the stream Ru de Belval.
The Baslieux-sous-Châtillon commune covers 588 hectares and has 178 inhabitants (as of 2012), referred to as baslieutains and baslieutaines.
The vineyards in Baslieux-sous-Châtillon are primarily located in the northern part of the commune and consist of mild south- to southeast-facing slopes. A smaller part is located in the southern part of the commune and consists of mild north- to northwest-facing slopes. Pinot Meunier is the dominant grape variety.
The current vineyard surface in the Baslieux-sous-Châtillon commune is 78.1 hectares (193.0 acres). There are 57.4 ha Pinot Meunier (73.5%), 13.5 ha Pinot Noir (17.3%), and 7.2 ha Chardonnay (9.3%). Numbers from CIVC, as of 2013. In 1997, the vineyard surface was also 78 ha. There are 34 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune.
The producer status NM = négociant-manipulant means that purchased grapes can be included in the Champagnes. NM producers can be anything from small producers that supplement their own grapes with some that they buy in, to large Champagne houses that primarily rely on purchased grapes.
- Eric Taillet (NM), has 5.7 ha of vineyards in six villages around Basileux-sous-Châtillon.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- Annie Bertrand (RM)
- Chauvet-Devaquier (RC)
- Joël Chevillet (RM)
- Devaquier-Deguay (RC)
- Robert Faivre
- Liébart-Régnier (RM?), member of Vignerons Indépendants with 9 ha of vineyards in Baslieux-sous-Châtillon and Vauciennes.
- Mathieu-Gandon (RM)
- Mathieu-Gosztyla (RM), has 5 ha of vineyards in four villages with 40% Pinot Noir, 40% Pinot Meunier, and 20% Chardonnay.
- Franck Pascal (RM), member of Vignerons Indépendants. A biodynamic producer with 4.2 ha of vineyards in five villages in the Vallée de la Marne, with 79% Pinot Meunier, 12% Pinot Noir, and 9% Chardonnay (the proportions vary somewhat between sources). Got attention in 2005 from e.g. Gault Millau as one of the best “up and coming” among the new generation of grower-producers.
- Pascal-Delette (RM), also written Pascal-Delette & fils, has 7 ha of vineyards.
- C. Pascal-Poudras (RM)
- Guy Remi (RC)
- Rigot et Fils, has 3 ha of vineyards.
- Rouillère fils (RM), has 4.4 ha of vineyards.
- Roland Vizeneux & Fils (RC)
Comment: the list may not be complete.
- Wikipedia about the village in English, in French.
- Website of the Baslieux-sous-Châtillon commune.
- UMC’s village profile of Baslieux-sous-Châtillon.
- The Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2015, last update 2015-06-04