Located in subregion/area: Côte des Blancs / Côte des Blancs
Vineyards and grape varieties: 41.4 hectares (102.3 acres), of which 99.0% Chardonnay, 0.7% Pinot Noir, and 0.2% Pinot Meunier.
Classification: Premier cru (95%)
Noted for: Chardonnay from premier cru-classificed vineyards.
Google Maps view with the villages in the Côte des Blancs highlighted. The grand cru villages are shown in green, and the premier cru villages, including Voipreux, in yellow.
Clicking on a village opens a field to the left with a link to the village profile.
East: Villeneuve-Renneville-Chevigny, premier cru
West: Vertus, premier cru
Comment: several of the communes on the map, in particular on the flatland to the east, are not part of the Champagne appellation and therefore don’t have any village profiles.
Voipreux is located on the flatland east of the Côte des Blancs slope, along the stream La Berle, which continues via La Somme-Soude to empty into the Marne river in the northeast.
The Voipreux has a very elongated shape, with the long axis being northnorthwest-southsoutheast, covers 432 hectares and has 226 inhabitants (as of 2012), referred to as Voipreutiots and Voipreutiotes.
The vineyards in Voipreux are located north of the village, and are continuous with those in Vertus and Villeneuve-Renneville-Chevigny. The vineyards are located on rather flat land below the Côte des Blancs slopes itself, and consist almost exclusively of Chardonnay.
The current vineyard surface in the Voipreux commune is 41.4 hectares (102.3 acres). There are 41.0 ha Chardonnay (99.0%), 0.3 ha Pinot Noir (0.7%), and 0.1 ha Pinot Meunier (0.2%). Numbers from CIVC, as of 2013. In 1997, the vineyard surface was 41 ha. There are 29 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune.
The premier cru status
On the now defunct échelle des crus scale, where 100% = grand cru and 90-99% = premier cru, Voipreux had 95% which meant premier cru status. Voipreux has kept this premier cru status following the abolishment of the échelle des crus, just like other villages that achieved it.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name. Smaller producers with unknown status are placed under this heading.
- Denis Chaumont (RC), also Chaumont. The vintage Champagne is a blanc de blancs.
- M. Férat & Fils (RC), has its main seat in Vertus, but also an address in Voipreux. Has a bit more than 7 ha of vineyards in Vertus and Voipreux with 85% Chardonnay, 10% Pinot Meunier, and 5% Pinot Noir. The vintage Champagne is a blanc de blancs.
- Alain Maximy (RC), which has two vintage Champagnes: Cuvée Prestige which is a 100% Chardonnay and Cuvée Spéciale which is a 50% Chardonnay and 50% Pinot Noir (refers to the 2006 vintage).
Comment: the list be incomplete.
- Wikipedia about this village in English, in French.
- (The Voipreux commune doesn’t have a website.)
- UMC’s new village profile of Voipreux.
- UMC’s old village profile of Voipreux (dead link)
- Vineyard map of Voipreux at weinlagen-info.de.
- The Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2015, last update 2017-02-26