Located in subregion/area: Côte des Blancs / Val du Petit Morin
Vineyards and grape varieties: 40.4 hectares (99.8 acres), of which 57% Pinot Meunier, 32% Chardonnay, and 10% Pinot Noir.
Classification: “Autre cru” (85%)
Google Maps view with the villages in the Val du Petit Morin area highlighted. The area’s only premier cru village, Étréchy, is shown in yellow and the other villages in orange.
Clicking on a village opens a field to the left with a link to the village profile, if it exists.
Beaunay is located in the northern part of the Val du Petit Morin area, and is located some distance from the Petit Morin. The village is also located south of a small forest which separates it from the Côteaux Sud d’Épernay area. The village is part of a string of Champagne villages.
The Beaunay commune covers 353 hectares and has 105 inhabitants (as of 2012).
The vineyards in Beaunay are located around the village and consist to a large part of mild southeast-facing slopes, but also of mild slopes of other directions. Pinot Meunier is the most common grape variety.
The current vineyard surface in the Beaunay commune is 40.4 hectares (99.8 acres). There are 23.2 ha Pinot Meunier (57.4%), 13.1 ha Chardonnay (32.4%), and 4.1 ha Pinot Noir (10.1%). Numbers from CIVC, as of 2013. In 1997, the vineyard surface was also 40 ha. There are 23 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- Bression Moreau, whose vineyards consist of 50% Chardonnay, 46% Pinot Meunier, and 4% Pinot Noir. The top wine Réserve Quentaïs is an oaked blanc de blancs.
- Gaunel-Jacquet (RM)
- Michel Jacquesson, whose vintage Champagne is called Cuvée Speciale and consists of 40% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay, and 20% Pinot Meunier.
- Lombard Collet (RM), which seems to be produced by Vranken in Tours-sur-Marne despite the RM code and the text “Lombard Collet à Beaunay” on the label.
- Claude Thuillier (RM), has 6 ha of vineyards in Beaunay and Étoges.
Comment: the list may not be complete.
- Wikipedia about this village in English, in French.
- The Beaunay commune doesn’t have a website.
- UMC’s village profile of Beaunay.
- Vineyard map of Beaunay at weinlagen-info.de.
- The Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2016, last update 2017-01-21