Located in subregion/area: Côte des Blancs / Val du Petit Morin
Vineyards and grape varieties: 32.1 hectares (79.3 acres), of which 54% Chardonnay, 44% Pinot Meunier, and 1.6% Pinot Noir.
Classification: “Autre cru” (85%)
Google Maps view with the villages in the Val du Petit Morin area highlighted. The area’s only premier cru village, Étréchy, is shown in yellow and the other villages in orange.
Clicking on a village opens a field to the left with a link to the village profile, if it exists.
Westnorthwest (but mainly beyond Courjeonnet): Villevenard
Comment: some of the communes on the southern part of the map are not part of the Champagne appellation and therefore don’t have any village profiles.
Coizard-Joches is located at Le Petit Morin, the river that has lended the area its name.
The Coizard-Joches commune covers 1078 hectares and has 77 inhabitants (as of 2013) referred to as Coizardins and Coizardines.
The vineyards in Coizard-Joches are located to the north of the village, immediately south of a small forest. The vineyards inVert-Toulon are located on the eastern side of the the same forest. The vineyards consist of mild slopes that are mostly facing south to southwest. Chardonnay is the most common grape variety, but Pinot Meunier is almost as common.
The current vineyard surface in the Coizard-Joches commune is 32.1 hectares (79.3 acres). There are 17.4 ha Chardonnay (54.2%), 14.2 ha Pinot Meunier (44.2%), and 0.5 ha Pinot Noir (1.6%). Numbers from CIVC, as of 2013. In 1997, the vineyard surface was 31 ha. There are 16 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- François Barnier (RC), the range of which includes a vintage Champagne.
- Guyard-Leblanc (RC), has vineyards in Coizard-Joches, Fèrebrianges, Vert-Toulon, and Broussy-le-Grand with 66% Chardonnay, 30% Pinot Meunier, and 4% Pinot Noir. The top Champagne Cuvée Prestige is non-vintage and is composed of 40% Chardonnay, 40% Pinot Noir, and 20% Pinot Meunier.
Comment: It is not certain that the list is complete.
- Wikipedia about this village in English, in French.
- The Coizard-Joches commune doesn’t have a website.
- UMC’s village profile of Coizard-Joches.
- Vineyard map of Coizard-Joches at weinlagen-info.de.
- The Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2016, last update 2017-01-21