Located in subregion/area: Côte des Blancs / Val du Petit Morin
Vineyards and grape varieties: 50.0 hectares (123.6 acres), of which 81% Pinot Meunier, 15% Pinot Noir, and 3% Chardonnay.
Classification: “Autre cru” (85%)
Google Maps view with the villages in the Val du Petit Morin area highlighted. The area’s only premier cru village, Étréchy, is shown in yellow and the other villages in orange.
Clicking on a village opens a field to the left with a link to the village profile, if it exists.
Comment: some of the communes on the map, to the west and northwest, are not part of the Champagne appellation and therefore don’t have any village profiles.
Baye is located just north of Le Petit Morin, the river that has lended its name to the area.
The Baye commune covers 1798 hectares and has 408 inhabitants (as of 2013) referred to as Bayens and Bayennes.
The vineyards in Baye are located on various sides of the village and consist of mild slopes of varying directions. Pinot Meunier is the most common grape variety.
The current vineyard surface in the Baye commune is 50.0 hectares (123.6 acres). There are 40.7 ha Pinot Meunier (81.4%), 7.6 ha Pinot Noir (15.2%), and 1.7 ha Chardonnay (3.4%). Numbers from CIVC, as of 2013. In 1997, the vineyard surface was 48 ha. There are 60 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune.
The producer status NM = négociant-manipulant means that purchased grapes can be included in the Champagnes. NM producers can be anything from small producers that supplement their own grapes with some that they buy in, to large Champagne houses that primarily rely on purchased grapes.
- Daniel Collin (NM), the range of which includes the cuvée Esprit Shiraz, which consists of 1/3 each of Chardonnay, Pinot Meunier, and Pinot Noir, and no Syrah/Shiraz. Not to be confused with Daniel Colin in Loisy-sur-Marne.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- Barré-Marc (RC)
- Yves Jacques (RM), has 17 ha of vineyards. The vintage Champagne is called Cuvée Sélection Réserve which consists of Chardonnay, Cuvée Gisèle which is a blend of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, and Cuvée Éponyme which is vinified in oak.
- Odil Moret (RM)
Comment: the list may not be complete.
- Wikipedia about this village in English, in French.
- The Baye commune doesn’t have a website.
- UMC’s village profile Baye.
- Vineyard map of Baye at weinlagen-info.de.
- The Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2016, last updated 2017-05-27