Located in subregion/area: Côte des Bar / Bar-sur-Aubois
Vineyards and grape varieties: 94.7 hectares (234.0 acres), of which 82% Pinot Noir, 9% Chardonnay, and 9% Pinot Meunier.
Classification: “Autre cru” (80%)
Google Maps view with the villages in the Bar-sur-Aubois highlighted.
Clicking on a village opens a field to the left with a link to the village profile, if it exists.
Neighbouring villages within the Champagne appellation
Bar-sur-Aube is located in the Aube department, at the Aube river for which the department has been named. It is the largest town in the Bar-sur-Aubois area of the Champagne appellation, which is named for this town. Bar-sur-Aubois is located centrally in the area.
The Bar-sur-Aube commune has a surface of 1627 hectares and has 5080 inhabitants (as of 2013) referred to as Baralbins and Baralbines alternatively Barsuraubois and Barsurauboises.
In Bar-sur-Aube there is a restaurant which has been awarded a Bib Gourmand by the Guide Michelin (as of 2016), La Toque Baralbine.
The vineyards in Bar-sur-Aube are mostly located in the northeastern part of the commune. These vineyards are continuous with those in Arrentières and Ailleville. There are also vineyards in the southwestern part of the commune. Pinot Noir is the most common grape variety.
The current vineyard surface in the Bar-sur-Aube commune is 94.7 hectares (234.0 acres). There are 77.9 ha Pinot Noir (82.3%), 8.5 ha Chardonnay (9.0%), 8.2 ha Pinot Meunier (8.7%), and 0.1 ha others (0.1%). Numbers from CIVC, as of 2013. In 1997, the vineyard surface was 78 ha. There are 23 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- Breton.C.Gaillard (RM), has 6 ha of vineyards. The range includes a vintage Champagne.
- Brisson-Jonchère (RM, Facebook page), has vineyards from Bar-sur-Aube to Dolancourt, with 69% Pinot Noir, 22% Chardonnay, and 9% Pinot Meunier.
- Dominique Gauthier (RM, Facebook page), also written Gauthier Dominique. The range includes a vintage Champagne.
- Gilles Leseurre (RM), has 6 ha of vineyards.
Comment: the list may be incomplete.
- Wikipedia about this village in English, in French.
- Website of the Bar-sur-Aube commune.
- UMC’s village profile of Bar-sur-Aube.
- Vineyard map of Bar-sur-Aube at weinlagen-info.de.
- The Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2017, last update 2017-02-08