Located in subregion/area: Côte des Blancs / Vitryat
Vineyards and grape varieties: 31.5 hectares (77.8 acres), of which 98% Chardonnay and 2% Pinot Noir.
Classification: Autre cru (84%)
Google Maps view with the villages in the Vitryat highlighted.
Clicking on a village opens a field to the left with a link to the village profile.
Neighbouring villages within the Champagne appellation
Comment: some of the communes on the map are not part of the Champagne appellation and therefore don’t have any village profiles.
Val-de-Vière is located in the northeastern part of the Vitryat area, which is named for Vitry-le-François, the central town. The commune include the two hamlets Doucey (in the western part) and Rosay (in the centre).
The Val-de-Vière commune has a surface of 1925 hectares and has 129 inhabitants (as of 2014), referred to as Vierois and Vieroises.
The vineyards in Val-de-Vière are located in the northwestern part of the commune, in a block that stretches across the border to Vavray-le-Petit. They consist of mild south- and southeast-facing slopes on a low ridge. The vineyards are completely dominated by Chardonnay.
The current vineyard surface in the Val-de-Vière commune is 31.5 hectares (77.8 acres). There are 30.8 ha Chardonnay (97.8%), 0.6 ha Pinot Noir (1.9%), and 0.1 ha others (0.3%). Numbers from CIVC, as of 2013. In 1997, the vineyard surface was 14 ha. There are 7 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- Oudit Simonnet (RM), has just over 2.5 ha of vineyards in Val-de-Vière and Lisse-en-Champagne with mostly Chardonnay and 0.27 ha Pinot Noir. Their first vineyards were planted in 1993. The range includes a vintage Champagne. The labels indicate that the Champagnes are produced by Lhoste-Munier in Bassuet.
Comment: the list may be incomplete.
- Wikipedia about this village in English, in French.
- The Val-de-Vière commune doesn’t have a website.
- UMC’s village profile of Val-de-Vière.
- Vineyard map of Val-de-Vière at weinlagen-info.de.
- The Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2017, last update 2017-07-16