Located in subregion / area: Vallée de la Marne / Vallée de la Marne Ouest
Vineyards and grape varieties: 88.0 hectares (217.5 acres), of which 82% Pinot Meunier, 13% Pinot Noir, and 5% Chardonnay.
Classification: “Autre cru” (80%)
Google Maps view with the villages in the Vallée de la Marne Ouest highlighted, as well as some surrounding villages in white.
Clicking on a village opens a field to the left with a link to the village profile, if there is one.
On the left bank of Marne
Azy-sur-Marne is located on the right bank of the Marne river, which means to the north of the river.
The Azy-sur-Marne commune covers 278 hectares and has 390 invånare (as of 2016) referred to as Azyciens and Azyciennes.
The vineyards in Azy-sur-Marne are gathered in a block in the slope above the village and mostly consist of mild south-facing slopes, with a proportion of southwest- and southeast-facing slopes. The vineyards are continuous with those in Essômes-sur-Marne and Bonneil. The vineyards in Bonneil and in most of Azy-sur-Marne together form an amphitheatre. Pinot Meunier is the dominating grape variety.
The current vineyard surface in the Azy-sur-Marne commune is 88.0 hectares (217.5 acres). There are 72.3 ha Pinot Meunier (82.2%), 11.2 ha Pinot Noir (12.7%), and 4.5 ha Chardonnay (5.1%). Current information from CIVC as of 2018, refers to the situation a few years earlier. In 1997, the vineyard surface was 75 ha. There are 77 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- Frédéric Caron (Facebook page) with 16 ha of vineyards, and who cultivates the unusual grape variety Petit Meslier in the site Les Rollemers in Essômes-sur-Marne. Petit Meslier is included in two non-vintage Champagnes: Duo de Blancs with 50% Chardonnay and 50% Petit Meslier, amd Quatre Cépages with 35% Pinot Noir, 25% Chardonnay, 20% Petit Meslier, and 20% Pinot Meunier. The vintage Champagne is composed of 60% Chardonnay, 25% Pinot Noir, and 15% Pinot Meunier (refers to the 2006 vintage). Also produces Champagnes under the namne Simon-Barlier, which was the producer’s name two generations back.
- Georges Henry (RM), whose range includes a vintage Champagne.
- Olivier et Laëtitia Marteaux (RM), with vineyards in Essômes-sur-Marne, Azy-sur-Marne, Bonneil, Romeny-sur-Marne, and Charly-sur-Marne. The range includes a vintage Champagne composed of 50% Pinot Meunier, 30% Chardonnay, and 20% Pinot Noir.
- Viard-Lanier (RM)
Comment: the list may be incomplete.
- Wikipedia about this village in English, in French.
- The Azy-sur-Marne commune doesn’t have a website.
- UMC’s village profile of Azy-sur-Marne.
- Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2019, last update 2019-02-11