Located in subregion / area: Vallée de la Marne / Vallée de la Marne Ouest
Vineyards and grape varieties: 74.7 hectares (184.6 acres), of which 70% Pinot Meunier, 16% Pinot Noir, and 14% Chardonnay.
Classification: “Autre cru” (80%)
Google Maps view with the villages in the Vallée de la Marne Ouest highlighted, as well as some surrounding villages in white.
Clicking on a village opens a field to the left with a link to the village profile, if there is one.
On the left bank of Marne
Comment: several of the villages visible to the north are not included in the list above, since they are outside the appellation and therefore will not be profiled.
Romeny-sur-Marne is located on the right bank of the Marne river, which means to the north of the river.
The Romeny-sur-Marne commune covers 423 hectares and has 500 inhabitants (as of 2016) referred to as Romenyats and Romenyates.
The vineyards in Romeny-sur-Marne are gathered in a block in the slope above the village and is mostly made up of south-facing slopes. The vineyards are continuous with those in Saulchery. Pinot Meunier is the dominating grape variety.
The current vineyard surface in the Romeny-sur-Marne commune is 74.7 hectares (184.6 acres). There are 52.6 ha Pinot Meunier (70.4%), 12.0 ha Pinot Noir (16.1%), and 10.1 ha Chardonnay (13.5%). Current information from CIVC as of 2019, refers to the situation a few years earlier. In 1997, the vineyard surface was 66 ha. There are 24 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- Bernard Bijotat (RM, Facebook page), member of the Vignerons Indépendants with 10 ha vineyards with 60% Pinot Meunier, 30% Chardonnay, and 10% Pinot Noir. The range includes a vintage Champagne composed of 80% Chardonnay, 15% Pinot Meunier, and 5% Pinot Noir.
- Marc Bijotat (RM), with slightly more than 12 ha of vineyards with 70% Pinot Meunier, 15% Chardonnay, and 15% Pinot Noir. The range includes a vintage Champagne composed of 50% Chardonnay, 40% Pinot Meunier, and 10% Pinot Noir (refers to the 2008 vintage).
- Patrice Lamère (RC)
- Lamere-Courcy (RC)
- Marcelle-Borniche (RC), whose range includes a vintage Champagne.
- Vincent Père & Fils (Facebook page), with 6 ha of vineyards with 60% Pinot Meunier, 20% Chardonnay, and 20% Pinot Noir. The range includes a vintage Champagne composed of 40% Pinot Meunier, 40% Pinot Noir, and 20% Chardonnay (refers to the 2012 vintage).
Comment: the list may be incomplete.
When bottles are sold directly by a cooperative the producer status is given as CM = coopérative de manipulation, as opposed to RC when sold by a cooperative member under their own name.
- Cave Coopérative de Romeny-sur-Marne is a cooperative in Romeny-sur-Marne.
- Wikipedia about this village in English, in French.
- The Romeny-sur-Marne commune doesn’t have a website.
- UMC’s village profile of Romeny-sur-Marne.
- Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2019, last update 2019-03-14