Located in subregion / area: Vallée de la Marne / Vallée de la Marne Rive Gauche
Vineyards and grape varieties: 109.4 hectares (270.3 acres), of which 55% Pinot Meunier, 25% Chardonnay, 19% Pinot Noir, and 0.5% other grape varieties.
Classification: “Autre cru” (84%)
Google Maps view with the villages in the Vallée de la Marne Rive Droite highlighted.
Clicking on a village opens a field to the left with a link to the village profile, if there is one.
On the right bank of the Marne river
North: Damery (part of the Vallée de la Marne Rive Droite)
Vauciennes is located on the left bank of the Marne river, which means south of the river. The main village Vauciennes is locate in the upper part of the slope. In the Vauciennes commune we also find the hamlet La Chaussée de Damery, located below the slope along the D3 road, in the northwestern part of the commune.
The Vauciennes commune covers 508 hectares and has 334 inhabitants (as of 2016), referred to as Vauciennats and Vauciennates.
The vineyards in Vauciennes mostly consist of mild north-facing slopes with Pinot Meunier as the most common grape variety.
The current vineyard surface in the Vauciennes commune is 109.4 hectares (270.3 acres). There are 60.4 ha Pinot Meunier (55.2%), 27.5 ha Chardonnay (25.1%), 20.9 ha Pinot Noir (19.1%), and 0.6 ha other grape varieties (0.5%). Current information from CIVC as of 2019, refers to the situation a few years earlier. In 1997, the vineyard surface was 101 ha. There are 50 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- Vincent Cadel (RM, Facebook page)
- Castelger (RM), member of Vignerons Indépendants with 9 ha of vineyards, of which 45% Pinot Meunier, 45% Chardonnay, and 10% Pinot Noir. The range includes two vintage champagnes: a Blanc de Blancs and Cuvée Gabriel which is 100% Pinot Meunier.
- De Saint Léger (RM), with the company name José Lemaire, also written J. Lemaire.
- Joël Jean-Pierre (RC)
- Michel Laroche (RM)
- Raymond Legras (RC)
- Legras-Batonnet (RM), with 7 ha of vineyards in Mardeuil, Vauciennes, Boursault, and Œuilly with 60% Meunier, 30% Chardonnay, and 10% Pinot Noir.
- Paulin Lemaire (RM, Facebook page)
- Michel Liébart (RM)
- Patrice Valton & Fils, has about 3 ha of vineyards in the Vallée de la Marne.
- G. Valton-Huet (RM), which has 5 ha of vineyards. The range includes a vintage champagne.
Comment: the list may be incomplete.
- Wikipedia about this village in English, in French.
- Website of the Vauciennes commune.
- UMC’s village profile of Vauciennes.
- Vineyard map of Vauciennes at weinlagen-info.de.
- The Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2015-2019, last upate 2019-03-16