Located in subregion / area: Vallée de la Marne / Vallée de la Marne Rive Droite
Vineyards and grape varieties: 51.3 hectares (126.8 acres), of which 91.4% Pinot Meunier, 5.5% Pinot Noir, and 3.1% Chardonnay.
Classification: ”Autre cru” (84%)
Also called: Olizy-Violaine
Google Maps view with the villages in the Vallée de la Marne Rive Droite highlighted.
Clicking on a village opens a field to the left with a link to the village profile.
North and northeast: Romigny
Comment: some of the villages visible on the map are located outside the Champagne appellation, and therefore don’t have any village profiles.
Olizy is located on the right bank of the Marne river, which means north of the river, but not directly at the Marne.
The Violaine village is also part of the commune, and is located close to the vineyards, a short distance southeast of Olizy itself. In connection with Champagne it is common to see this village called Olizy-Violaine or Olizy-et-Violaine, but the official name of the commune is Olizy.
The Olizy commune covers 457 hectares and has 162 inhabitants (as of 2014) referred to as Oliziens and Oliziennes.
The vineyards in Olizy are located in the eastern part of the commune, mostly in a block continuous with the vineyards in Romigny and Jonquery. The consist of mild southwest- to south-facing slopes with Pinot Meunier as the dominant grape variety.
The current vineyard surface in the Olizy commune is 51.3 hectares (126.8 acres). There are 46.9 ha Pinot Meunier (91.4%), 2.8 ha Pinot Noir (5.5%), and 1.6 ha Chardonnay (3.1%). Numbers from CIVC, as of 2013. In 1997, the vineyard surface was 50 ha. There are 64 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- Luc Bétouzet (RM)
- Chopin-Mimin (RC)
- Erard-Salmon (RM), also J. Erard-Salmon, has 9.5 ha of vineyards in seven villages: Olizy (the majority), La Neuville-aux-Larris, Trélou-sur-Marne, Champlat-et-Boujacourt, Dormans, Cuchery, and Jonquery. The vintage Champagne is composed of one-third each of Chardonnay, Pinot Meunier, and Pinot Noir. l’Epicurienne is a vintage Champagne that is oak barrel-vinified and with a slightly higher proportion of Chardonnay.
- Heraut-Jubine, with the company name HJKV.
- Gilbert Mimin (RM)
- Mimin-Gougelet (RC)
- Paul Promsy Père & Fils (RC)
- Dominique Rigaut (RC)
- Jean Rigaut (RC)
- André Salmon (RC)
- Jean-François Wurtz (RC), whose range includes a vintage Champagne.
Comment: the list may be incomplete.
- Wikipedia about this village in English, in French.
- (The Olizy commune doesn’t have a website.)
- UMC’s village profile of Olizy.
- Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2015-2017, last update 2017-07-26