Located in subregion/area: Montagne & Val de Reims / Monts de Berru
Vineyards and grape varieties: 80.6 hectares (199.2 acres), of which 94% Chardonnay, 3.5% Pinot Meunier, 1.9% Pinot Noir, and 0.7% others.
Classification: “Autre cru” (85%)
Google Maps view with the villages in the Monts de Berru highlighted.
Clicking on a village opens a field to the left with a link to the village profile, if it exists.
Neighbouring villages in the Champagne appellation
West: Reims (in the Vesle et Ardre area)
Southsoutheast: Puisieulx (in the Grande Montagne de Reims are)
Comment: some of the communes on the map are not part of the Champagne appellation, and therefore they have no village profiles.
Cernay-lès-Reims is located immediately to the east of Reims, on the other side of the A34 motorway.
The Cernay-lès-Reims commune covers 1649 hectares and has 1326 inhabitants (as of 2014), referred to as Sarnaciens and Sarnaciennes.
The vineyards in Cernay-lès-Reims are located to the east of the village, around the forest-clad hill Mont de Berru, which also stretches into the Berru and Nogent-l’Abbesse villages. The vineyards are situated on mild south- to west-facing slopes. The vineyards are completely dominated by Chardonnay.
The current vineyard surface in the Cernay-lès-Reims commune is 80.6 hectares (199.2 acres). There are 75.7 ha Chardonnay (93.9%), 2.8 ha Pinot Meunier (3.5%), 1.5 ha Pinot Noir (1.9%), and 0.6 ha others (0.7%). Numbers from CIVC, as of 2013. In 1997, the vineyard surface was 79 ha. There are 76 vineyard owners (exploitants) in the commune.
Producer status is indicated where known: RM = récoltant-manipulant, or grower-producers. RC = récoltant-coopérateur, growers that are cooperative members but sell Champagnes under their own name.
- Allart & Fils (Facebook page)
- Francis Bauda (RC)
- Grégory Gérardin (RC), with vineyards in Sermiers (Pinot Meunier and Pinot Noir) and Cernay-lès-Reims (Chardonnay).
- Laurent Grais (RC), whose range includes a vintage blanc de blancs.
- Grais-Portevin (RC), with vineyards in Montigny-sur-Vesle, Berru, Verzenay, and Cernay-lès-Reims. The range includes a vintage Champagne composed of 62% Chardonnay, 33% Pinot Noir, and 5% Pinot Meunier.
- Bernard Laquille (RC)
- Oudin-Collet (RC, Facebook page), which has vineyards with 90% Chardonnay. The producer was created by merging Bukaczewski-Collet and Gérard Oudin in Nogent-l’Abbesse. The range includes two vintage Champagnes: Odyssée Blanche which is a blanc de blancs and Prélude des fondateurs which is a blanc de noirs.
- Jean-Yves Perard (RC, Facebook page), also written JY Perard, whose range includes a vintage Champagne.
- Pascal Ragaut (RC)
- Thierry Tailliet (RC)
Comment: the list may be incomplete.
- Bukaczewski-Collet (RC), now part of Oudin-Collet, see above.
- Wikipedia about this village in English, in French.
- Website of the Cernay-lès-Reims commune.
- UMC’s village profile of Cernay-lès-Reims.
- The Swedish version of this post.
© Tomas Eriksson 2017, last update 2017-08-19